Saturday, April 9, 2011

Give it a Try

Here is a challenge for all my writer friends. Write a paragraph or story which focuses on one letter. Since today is day 8 of the A to Z challenge, I am using the letter G in my example. You may use any letter you wish. It may be any length but must follow this rule. The first word of the first sentence must begin with that letter as well as the second word in the second sentence, third word in the third sentence, etc. After you get to sentence 10, you then go backwards (1,2...10, 9, 8...2,1). This pattern continues as many times as needed. You may end the story at any point in the sequence.Give it a try sometime. It's not as easy as you think. He is my feable attempt:

George has a problem. A girl problem. It is Gwen. He just can't get her to off his mind. Gwen isn't like other girls who are afraid of bugs and spiders and who wear frilly dresses. She is a tall, short-haired girl who plays hockey. In fact, she's the league's best goalie. In two years only three pucks have gone past her swift body. She's one tough cookie; bother her and she'll give you a mean left hook faster than you can say sorry. Most people under-estimate her at first, because she's absolutely gorgeous. Gosh, those pale green eyes and perfect smile fool them every time. Yet, George knows better. He knows Gwen better than anyone, because she is his little sister. And she knows George's big secret. She said that when Grandma and Grandpa come to visit for Thanksgiving, she'll announce it as dad carves into the bird. If that happens, then his goose is cooked. 


Now I ask you...what might George's secret be? Post your ideas in the comment section.


Also, if you are willing to give the exercise a try, feel free to post your paragraph in the comment section as well.

5 comments:

Jodi said...

I'll be gosh darned, by golly! I give up!

Linda H. said...

If at first you don't succeed,try try again.

Linda H. said...

Thank you, Deirdra.
:-)

Unknown said...

Hmm, I'll guess that he has dropped out of college to pursue his music career full-time and hasn't told his parents yet? Hey, I'm a writer, I imagine BIG. :-)

Loved the sample paragraph as a potential query letter, btw!

Nice to meet you,

EJ

Linda H. said...

That could very well be, E.J. To be honest, even I don't know what George did. This is not from a story I wrote or even thought through. I simply wrote that paragraph to met the challenge.

I am guessing that he got his girlfriend pregnant (yeah, I know...predictable and boring response) or that he is planning on getting a sex change. Either way, both answers involve sex. haha