Friday, April 8, 2011

Day 7 of the A to Z Challenge: F---

Fudge! Please forgive me for my failure to post yesterday. I didn't forget. In fact, I thought about it from the time I woke up. Unfortunately, my daughter had a fever, cough, and other symptoms. As we were sitting in the waiting room of the doctor's office, Katarina and I were throwing around ideas of what starts with F. We thought of friends and family, but I wanted something more original. We considered Facebook and the value of it to both beginning and established writers. We thought of fiction stories and fairy tales. Ah, yes. Fairy tales. That is something we are all familiar with. Who doesn't know the story of Cinderella or Snow White or Hansel and Gretel? And there are hundreds more.

So, we are sitting there (and it is always a looooong wait) and discussing fairy tales. Then I mentioned The Stinky Cheese-Man and that made us think of food and then fish sticks. We remembered the Junie B. Jones book where Junie B. takes a fish stick to school for pet day. Silly, Junie B.! And then we decided to be silly ourselves. We began to create our own crazy fairy tales. Right before the nurse came to get us, we had imagined the most hilarious tale that we were laughing, very hard, and tears were coming to my eyes. The nurse probably thought she couldn't be that sick if we were giggling so much, but we just couldn't help it. The tale is just so funny. I wanted to share it with you, but Katarina protested. It was her idea, title and all, and she is putting it in her list of storylines and doesn't want anyone stealing it before she can write it. She's sure it will be a best-seller one day.

That brought me back to square one. I needed an F word. Unfortunately, I had English class in the evening and by the time I got home, it was late. I was tired. I went to bed and neglected to post. I guess if marks were given for punctuality in this challenge, I would end up with an F. F for Failure. But just like in school, one F during the course of the school year doesn't spell instant disaster. I can still turn this around. I've got 19 days to go yet. I can move forward. .

Ironically, I received a link from a friend today which concerns an important  F word. 


Okay, so it wasn't the F word you expected. If you are disappointed, or (even worse) offended, I apologize. I thought it was rather clever and funny but realize not everyone might agree. Forgive me :-)

Fiddle-sticks! I am out of time. Off to the next matter at hand. The future awaits...and the letter G as well. I guess I'll need to brainstorm what to post this evening. Gee, what could it be?



P.S. If anyone wants to write a new fairy tale for adults, considering sending it to The Fairy Tale Review. Their submission period is not open at this time but by the time you write and revise it, your timing might be perfect. You can find guidelines and other information here.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha ha, what a gass! You managed the F WORDSSSSSSS very well. Hope your daughter feels better. Can't wait to see what you do to G.

Linda H. said...

Thanks, Siv.

Jodi said...

You know that I work at Nordstrom but I bet you don't realize I work in the Encore Dept, which is plus size ladies. You have no idea how often I have to tell them, we don't use the F word here. No not that F word, the other F word.

Linda H. said...

And rightfully so, Jodi. That sure is a mean F word.

Debra Gray-Elliott said...

Love your "F" post!

Linda H. said...

Thanks, Debra.