Thursday, August 23, 2012

Combining Colors and Verbs

In my last post I told you about the August Poetry Project and explained the problem with overseas mail. I had only received two or three postcards two weeks into the project. Well, I got four more. For my response poems, I used the topic from one, borrowed a phrase from another, and took a word from the title of the third as prompts.Tomorrow I will write in response to the last one, and hopefully I will receive some more postcards soon. I am enjoying getting snail mail once again and the surprises that come with the project such as Who will the next postcard card from? Where do they live? What will be pictured on the postcard? What topic is the poem about? Do I like the poem?

One of the new postcards I received was from Phillip Brown. Guess what? He made his own postcards, too. Thinking about my store-bought cards, I felt like an under-achiever. But then I figured, hey, it's summer and I am busy and I'm also participating in the 100 Days of Summmer Project on my other blog and...  Oh, well. Let's get back on topic.  

What I thought was really neat about Phillip's postcards is that he paired colors with random verbs as a starting point for each poem. Mine was the color yellow and the verb thread, and he worked them into his writing very well and so descriptively that I could picture it all as I read it.

Did you ever read something from someone new and know right away that you would like to read more of that person's work? Well, that is how I felt after reading Phillip's poem. Lucky for me, he also wrote his blog address with his signature, and I couldn't wait to check out his work at The Camera Poetica. I am so glad I did. I really like his style. Some of my favorites are Gold/Wade, Cerulean/Hurtle,Green/Collide, and Blue/Varnish. Why not go check it out? You might find something you like as well.

As for me, I seem to be two poems behind and I need to buy more stamps. So I'd better go now.

Thanks for stopping by.


No comments: